(all parish is within AONB)
It is situated on the west bank of the River Glaven, 2 miles inland from the coast and directly across the river from the village of Cley next the Sea.
Wiveton Parish Council website:
To look at the village now its difficult to believe that Wiveton was once a considerable port handling sea-going ships of up to 130 tons in size. It ceased to be a thriving port in 1637 when landowner Sir Henry Calthorpe dammed the River Glaven in Blakeney marshes. This cut off the Glaven through both Wiveton and Cley from the scouring action of the tide in the estuary. The channels silted up to give us what we have today.
Wiveton Hall, on the north side of the coast road, faces Cley across the marsh. Built in 1653 of knapped flint and brick in a Jacobean style. A popular farmshop and cafe here can be reached on foot from Blakeney, providing a great circular walk.