Flitcham with Appleton
(less than 10% within AONB)
Flitcham is a small west Norfolk village situated 7 miles north east of King's Lynn and straddles the B1153, just to the north of the A148 Fakenham Road at Hillington.
The parish is known as Flitcham cum Appleton although the latter now consists of a farm and a few cottages while Appleton church is just a ruin.
Flitcham village website: http://www.flitcham.com
Along with the villages of Anmer, West Newton, Wolferton and Shernborne, it forms part of the Royal Sandringham Estate and the original carved village sign was a gift of King George V in 1912.
Like most of Norfolk, the land is not flat but is gently undulating, and to the north, the land rises quite steeply towards Anmer.
Just to the south, the little Babingley River flows east to west. This small stream has waters so cold and clear sometimes, that legend has it that the waters flow underground direct from glaciers in the Alps and across the continent to re-emerge in springs that source the river.
Abbey Farm is situated at the eastern end of the village and extends across the river to the south. The proprietors have provided a popular nature reserve and hide for bird watching.
Abbey Farm website: http://www.abbeyfarm.co.uk