Creake Abbey is an English Heritage site accesible to the public all year round and free of charge
North Creake, Fakenham, NR21 9LF
Tel: 07801 418907
Creake Abbey probably had its origins in 1206 when Sir Robert and Lady Alice de Nerford established the small chapel of St Mary of the Meadows at Lingerescroft, bordering the tiny River Burn.
In 1225 Henry III elevated the priory to abbey status, but a fire in around 1484 resulted in the nave and parts of the transepts being demolished, reducing it to a modest church. Early in the 16th century the abbey was devastated by the plague and when the abbot died, alone, on 12 December 1506, the abbey reverted to the Crown.